Friday 27 January 2012

Go Naturel!

Hello all, this post is going to focus on the unruly possession all women have- HAIR! I think it's safe to assume all women are on a quest for healthy hair. And as I began my voyage into the unknown two years ago I have learnt one valuable lesson, GO NATURAL! I once was a product junkie who would buy anything that promised me Rapunzel Locks! (Not actually checking if it was working for me but believing it was.) However eventually the cloud passed and I began to obsessively notice that my hair was not growing at all (of course this is impossible - hair always grows) but when it is in an unhealthy state the ends just break off; leaving you with the same length, if not shorter, that you started with. So I began to consider my options and I thought back to when my hair was at its healthiest and it was courtesy of Mamma who used to nurture it with natural products! So, sold on the idea natural products would give me a long, healthy mane I began my quest. I am now going to share with you the products I have used along the way...
 Coconut Oil:
You can use any variation of this really, mine is the hair conditioner but if you can’t get your hands on that, you could use coconut oil that you cook with. The only difference is the cooking oil is more solid, so you have to rub it in your hands longer before applying, and the hair conditioner has a more pleasing smell. But both do the job just as well. It can be used as part of a treatment that you rinse out but I just leave mine in (I am however very sparing when applying as it can be quite greasy!) targeting the ends of my hair. Coconut oil is also known to penetrate the hair shaft whereas other products simply coat it.
  
Castor Oil:
Just like Coconut Oil, Castor Oil is widely used for strengthening hair. It is also known to promote hair growth, I can vouch for this as I use mine simply to flatten flyaway hair, (usually the edges) which is where the hair is the shortest and I have noticed a significant difference in growth on my edges (which is were where my hair had broken most from over straightening) since using Castor Oil. There is also a liquid form of this, which I want to try as I feel it will seep into my hair better, as the wax version is far to greasy to use all over my head.
 Olive Oil Heat Protection Serum:
Before using this I was using TRESemme’s heat protection spray and although it smells lovely, I do not feel it protected my hair enough. When I would use my straighteners after spraying it, my hair would sizzle and the liquid would get hot and burn me. However that is not to say it doesn’t work for all hair types, just not mine personally. Since opting to Olive Oil, my hair glides better through the straighteners, it doesn’t sizzle and it leaves my hair with a nice healthy shine afterwards. Also a little goes a long way with this; two squirts are enough to cover all my ends.
Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Serum:
Alongside my Coconut Oil I use this serum as I can apply it daily without feeling like my hair is getting too greasy. It also smells lovely! I use the regular Coconut Oil just after I’ve washed my hair, as I feel that is when my hair most needs oils restored, and the serum I use only when my ends are feeling dry or as part of styling as it leaves a lovely glossy shine!
Moroccan Oil:
Aside from all the hype this product really does work!  It smells wonderful, it absorbs into the hair quickly and it does make a significant difference when you use it on dry areas – my only issue is the hefty price tag! My bottle is almost finished, so I only use it in extreme circumstances or when I feel like treating my hair. I have tried alternatives like the VO5 Miracle Concentrate Elixir and although my hair does feel nicer when I apply it, I still believe in original Moroccan Oil as it penetrates the hair follicles and does not dry out as quickly.


Apologies for this being quite a lengthy post (just shows my commitment to hair care!) One thing you will find about all the products I mentioned... They don’t contain ALCOHOL! Alcohol is NOT good for your skin and it definitely NOT good for your hair! So as a tip I would suggest checking the ingredients of all products you are buying so you do not end up disappointed.
I would also suggest checking out the following web page as it's enough to make anyone change their current hair care regime!
Hair... Technically Speaking
Thank you so much for reading!
And remember ladies, alcohol doesn’t belong on your hair, it belongs in a glass ;-)
Until next time x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment